The State Employment Relations Board (SERB) is committed to providing the highest level of service to its customers at all times. In furtherance of SERB’s mission and in accordance with Ohio Revised Code § 121.91, SERB has established the following customer service standards.
A customer is defined as any individual who contacts or appears before the State Employment Relations Board (SERB) or the State Personnel Board of Review (SPBR), including, but not limited to:
- The citizens of Ohio
- Representatives of employers and employee organizations
- Members of the media
- Federal, state, and local government agencies
Employees will communicate with customers, whether in person, in writing, via telephone and/or email, in a manner that is respectful, courteous, and professional at all times. Employees will listen to customers with the goal of understanding their issue or concern and will respond with accurate, complete, and precise information.
SERB realizes that not all customer issues will be resolved to the satisfaction of the customer. In those situations, employees are expected to continue to provide the highest level of service and maintain a professional tone at all times. SERB will continue to improve its customer service based on customer feedback.
IV. CUSTOMER SERVICE STANDARDS
- SERB’s regular office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Employees will greet all customers who appear at the SERB office with professionalism.
- Employees will answer telephone calls within three rings whenever possible.
- Employees will answer questions from all customers completely and accurately.
- If an employee cannot answer a question or the question falls outside the employee’s duties or expertise, the employee will transfer the customer to the appropriate staff member or supervisor or advise the customer that the employee will attempt to obtain the appropriate response and respond to the customer within a timely manner.
- If a question or complaint falls outside of SERB’s jurisdiction, the employee will refer the customer to the appropriate agency, whenever possible.
- Employees will return voicemail messages within 24 hours, whenever possible.
- Employees will leave their name, agency name, and telephone number when leaving a voicemail message.
- Employees will update their out of office email message whenever they will be out of the office for an extended period of time (one or more days), unless the absence is unforeseen, as in the case of illness.
- Employees will provide the main office telephone number and/or provide an alternate contact name and contact information on all out of office email messages and voicemail greetings.
- Employees will finish all interactions with customers in a professional and courteous manner, even if the customer is not extending the same level of courteous behavior.
- Employees will ensure that written correspondence is professional and that the information contained therein is complete, accurate, and precise.
- Employees will return all emails in a timely manner, preferably the same day.
- All inquiries from the media will be referred to the Executive Director, or in the absence thereof, to the General Counsel, per SERB’s Media Inquires Policy.
V. EDUCATION AND AWARENESS
A copy of this policy will be given to each employee of SERB for inclusion in the SERB Employee Handbook. A copy of the policy will also be posted on the SERB and SPBR websites. An employee’s compliance with the standards shall be reviewed as part of the employee’s performance evaluation.